Friday, August 5, 2011

Another project completed

Another project that has kept me busy around the house was a little "Sprucing Up" in our basement. We updated the paint and furniture for not a lot of money, but it sure made a big difference in how it looks! Check it out for yourself!  Before:


Ok. Embarrassing. What a mess! It actually gets much much worse than that on a regular basis since the only time I go down there is to get into my craft room. Whew! Look away. Here's how it looks now.

Much better, although part of it is just because the garbage is picked up off the floor!! We still have a couple of small changes we're going to make down there, and this week when I was in Salt Lake I made a trip to Draper to hit IKEA. I got these and these and Mike's going to install them tonight. Then I'm going to use them to hang my kids' artwork on the walls. That should make it look even better. I'll try to remember to post an update with the art on the walls.

ETA: Click here to see an update on the Art Wall!

Our latest project is the laundry room. Here's the before:


It was driving me absolutely bonkers that I could never get through the room because of all of the coats and backpacks and shoes and laundry, so our plan is to stack up the washer and dryer and move them into the far corner on the same wall where they are now. Then put floor-to-ceiling cabinets along the wall where the washer & dryer are now. We sold the bench & cubby unit on Craig's List, tore out the floor, stripped the wall paper, and here's how it looks now.

 And my husband regularly looks like this:
Progress is slow, but I have hope. As with any project, things keep coming up. Things besides the kids and swim team and camping and swim meets and summer and spring and winter and fall. Things like the fact that the only access to our crawl space is behind the cabinets in my craft room. See:

That means that any time we need to access the crawl space I have to empty out the cabinet and move everything off my desk so we can tear down the cabinet. And then when we're done in there I have to completely re-assemble my craft room. With moving the washer and dryer we're going to have to move the plumbing and electrical and knew we'd need to have easier access to the crawl space, which resulted in this:


Yes. We cut a hole in the floor of our house and moved the crawl space access to the floor of the closet in our office. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it was a project the took us two days to finish. Two days of Mike in the crawl space yelling at me, and me in the office yelling down at him. Not yelling AT each other, but yelling was the only way we could hear each other! Here's how it looks now:
Well, it mostly looks like that. All of the stuff is back in the closet, so you can't see the floor, but under it all I know it looks like this. And no matter how much stuff we pile in there, it's always going to be easier to move than completely disassembling my craft room. Nice, huh? My husband is a bit of a stud muffin. I swear the man can do a.ny.thing. So, now that we have easier access to the crawl space, AND the laundry room is stripped down to bare walls and subfloor, all we need now is time. And if you think I don't have enough time for blogging, you should see where the laundry room reno is on the list. I will say that every sliver I get in my feet from the bare subfloor moves it a little further up on the list. I'll be sure to post pics when it's done, or at least as we make progress. Here's what I'm hoping for when we're done.
Maybe a little brighter, but something along those lines.

3 comments:

Carrie Rhoades said...

Did you hang up your lines for hanging art on?

denise:) said...

FABULOUS! Love your "dream" laundry- and your basement. Wish we had a basement- they have so much potential for awesomeness!

Margo Kelly said...

*sigh* I love it ALL!! Well, except for the actual WORK-part. I love the progress, the ideas, and the finished parts!!

Where did you get the downstairs entertainment center/shelves/thing from?

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!