Monday, March 22, 2010

Valentine's Day Cards

I mentioned yesterday that I'm really bad about making cards for my family. Well, that holds true for Valentine's Day too. Maybe even more so because I'm always so busy helping my kids make a gazillion Valentines to give to all of their classmates. Well, this year I resolved to do better, and although I didn't take the time to create a card I designed myself, I did find some great ideas online and recreate those beautiful cards for my kids and my husband.


I saw this card on Dawn Griffith's blog and knew I HAD to make it. I demonstrated it for the ladies at my Ladies' Night Out in February and the I gave it to Mason for Valentine's Day. I have a thing for red and polka-dots, so this was a no-brainer. I used the polka dot stamp from Itty Bitty Backgrounds on red card stock and embossed the dots with white embossing powder. Then I punched them out with the new tiny heart punch from the Occasions Mini Catalog. I think Dawn added her dots with the white gel pen, but embossing them gave the card a little more texture and dimension. I LOVE this card. The inside has a matching row of red polka-dot hearts on the bottom. :O)  Thanks for the great inspiration, Dawn! 




Well, darn! I can't find the card that inspired me on this one. I {heart} the dandelion image from this stamp set and when I had a chance to earn this stamp set for FREE, you can bet I jumped on it! I inked up the image with Regal Rose ink and then accented some of the tiny hearts with Rose Red. I did the same thing on the i {heart} u image. I inked it up in Regal Rose and then colored the heart with Rose Red. The DSP is retired, but I adore those little flowers. I finished the card off with a little rose colored ribbon. This is the card I gave to Jordan for Valentine's Day. 

ETA: I found the card! This was inspired by Cindy Beach. Thanks, Cindy! You're awesome!! 


Although I saw this card on someone's blog, it's also a CASE right out of the Occasions mini catalog. I demonstrated this card at my February Ladies' Night out and showed them how to use a wheel with markers and stamp just part of the image. I really like the technique and it makes the wheels so much more versatile. The U is from the Simple Alphabet dies and I covered the chipboard with textured Old Olive card stock before cutting it out. The card base is Chocolate Chip textured card stock. I gave this card to Dawson for Valentine's Day.  


This last card idea came from Anthonette Chavez. When I saw her card I fell in love love love! I loved everything about this card. The colors. The layout. The rhinestones. EVERYTHING! I think some companies sell the rhinestones all hooked together and already in a circle, but I was able to use the rhinestones from the Easter egg kit in the Occasions mini and just glue them on with the green liquid Tombow glue. I cut a circle out of scrap card stock and put it on the front of my card and then just put dots of the glue around the outside of the circle, spacing them as evenly as I could while just eyeballing it. It's not as perfect as if the rhinestones had come all together that way, but I was still thrilled with how it turned out. The card base on this one is white textured card stock for a little added interest. This card seemed extra special, maybe because of the bling, so I made it for my sweetie. I think he liked it. ;O) Thanks to Anthonette for her beautiful and inspiring card. 

No comments:

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!