Thursday, January 21, 2010

Christmas Cards

Yesterday I shared a fun gift idea using My Digital Studio. Today I'm excited to show you the Christmas cards I made using My Digital Studio. My sweet girlfriend, who also happens to be an amazing photographer took some pictures of my family in November. I knew I wanted to use those pictures on my cards so I proceeded to create a card that was 5x7 and included a big variety of my favorite photos. Well, imagine my surprise when I uploaded them for printing and the total was over $300!! I nearly fainted. While it's nice to know that the printing will be professionally done, and that it will match SU! colors if I decide to add additional embellishments after I get the cards, that price tag was just too steep. I love my friends, but wanted to be able to get my kids some Christmas gifts too! Well, necessity is the mother of invention, so here's what I came up with:





The photos above actually represent one card I used to create two cards. The top two pictures are the front of the card and the inside top flap. The bottom picture is the inside bottom flap of the card. I created these as regular A6 size cards and ordered 35 of them. When I got my order I cut each card in half which created one card with a front and back and one card with an image on the front only. MDS won't allow you to place anything on the very back of your cards, so the bottom image was a stand-alone card and the back was blank except for the SU! printing.  I was thrilled with how they turned out. My only mistake, if you can call it that, was that the image on the back of the first card was upside down. I wish I'd thought ahead enough to realize that and I would have flipped it. Hopefully the family and friends who received that version weren't too annoyed by that little detail. I didn't hear any complaints! The top card, which included the smaller pictures of my kids on the back, went mostly to family (and to a few friends who had complained that we hadn't sent out a card with family pictures for a while, Chad.) The second card, which included only the family picture, went to everyone else.

By reducing the size of the cards and then cutting the number of cards I ordered in half, I was able to drastically reduce the cost of my cards to a number I was able to swallow. Although I don't have plans to use MDS for day-to-day card making, I do like the ability to create cards I need on a larger scale, like Christmas Cards, party invitations, birth announcements (for other people!), and the like. I love to make cards, but I don't ever enjoy making 100 of the same card. I also liked that I could use the program to create one calendar and then print off enough copies to share with my whole family. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

I'll be back tomorrow with a post about a big project my husband and I have been working on since about Thanksgiving. It's still ongoing, but nearing completion. I can't wait to tell you all about it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your blogging again too. I enjoy seeing your projects.
Patsy

Marie said...

Your cards look fabulous!! I will tell you my secret - I sized my cards to fit on a 4x6 photograph, and just had them made that way at that big-box store that has the smiley face guy (does it even still have it?? LOL). Granted - they were more like postcards, but they look just like the picture cards so many of my friends send, just slightly shorter. Anyway - I do love your cards, you did a great job with them!

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!