Monday, June 8, 2009

Susan G. Komen For the Cure

In Boise, the Race for the Cure is always held on the 2nd Saturday of May every year. The Thursday before, the local affiliate holds a Survivor Dinner. It's a wonderful event that gives special recognition to breast cancer survivors in our community. I go with my mom, a 10-year survivor, every year. This year was no exception.

The event is a beautiful celebration. This year was especially special for my mom and I was so glad that I was there to share in her celebration. Here's a picture of my mom and me at the dinner, and a picture of the room where dinner was held. They also hold silent and live auctions to raise money for Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
My mom volunteers at the Susan Komen office on Tuesday every week. Then during the month before the race, they hire her full-time to work there while they prepare for all of the events that take place the week of the race. This year, they honored my mom with a volunteer award. She and I were both so surprised. I'm sure I cried more than she did. I was so, so proud of her and everything she does for this amazing organization. Seeing her recognized for all of her hard work was overwhelming to both of us. Here she is with her award.
The keynote speaker this year was Gold Medal Olympian Kristen Armstrong. She's a Boise native and she still lives and trains here. She won the Gold Medal at the Beijing Olympics for the cycling time trial. Her speech was so inspiring. I think my mom gets a copy of it on DVD and I'm going to have to borrow it and listen to it again. Here's a picture of Kristen holding up her gold medal during her speech. And I was a bit of a stalker and got my picture taken with her and had her sign my program for my boys.

It was a wonderful evening of celebration, and I've regularly reminded my husband since that evening, that, "I'm best friends with Kristen Armstrong, and I have the pictures to prove it!"

2 comments:

bristowmom said...

Britiney, You look fabulous! Truly.

Love,
L

gina marie said...

I love that your mom is 10 year survivor! Hurray for her and praise God!

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!