Monday, June 29, 2009

Sad news

Mike got a call from the National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP) today as a 6-month follow-up to his bone marrow donation. They follow up regularly to make sure Mike doesn't have any long-lasting effects from the procedure. The kids and I have prayed for the man who received his bone marrow every day since we found out Mike would be donating. Just last night I prayed that we would get an update. They told us we would be updated quarterly, so I knew it was about time. During Mike's follow-up call today we found out that the man who got his bone marrow died. Apparently he got pneumonia in April and died from that. We don't know much more than that, but it is likely his immune system was still suppressed from the transplant. We will continue to keep his family in our prayers. I may even try to send a card to let them know how sorry we are and that we've been praying for all of them. Regardless of this outcome, we are still glad we did what we could and would probably do it again. I can't remember if I mentioned in previous posts, but Mike has been called as a possible marrow match three times, but ended up being the best match just once - so far. With that kind of record it seems possible we may go down this path again.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, that's so sad! I'm sorry. I'm sure it feels rather personal to you, despite not really knowing the family.

Good for you for being willing to do this!

Joan B said...

Wow, what a story. I am so sorry that the man died but what a generous gift. He died knowing someone cared.

Dale said...

Hi Britiney,
I came across your blog through Andrea Walford's blog and have just sat down with my coffee to read.
I love the look of your blog...pink is one of my favourite colours.
Then I came to this entry and I am sorry to hear about the recipiant of Mike's BMD.
Mike is a hero for registering with the NBMD. I have registered but have never been called. So few people register and this makes finding a donor slim.

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!