Monday, March 23, 2009

Where to start

As per my usual self, it's been a while. Where to start on catching you up on where I've been and what's been up . . . I've done LOTS of crafting (swaps, club, etc.) and can't wait to share a bunch of that with you. On the personal front, my hubby is still employed and we had two birthdays in the last month. My oldest turned 9 the last week of February and my baby turned 4 yesterday. Crazy. Here are a couple of pictures of my birthday boys.



Before I get into the crafty goodness, I forgot to tell you much about MY birthday! and I have a few pictures to share. First, for those of you just joining us, it was the big FOUR-OH this year. Ouch. Somehow being an age you can remember your parents being is a bit painful. I'm over it though. I really think 39 was worse - the whole dreading it for an entire year thing. So here's a big woo hoo to all you guys and gals out there who are joining me in a new decade this year. I know there are a few of you. 40's the new 30, you know. Whatever that means.

Okay, so I've already told you my sweet husband (who spoils me rotten) got me this for my birthday:

It's awesome. 'Nuf said.

The thing I didn't tell you about was the amazing cake he made for me! (And he keeps asking if I've posted it on my blog yet - and when I say, "No. Not yet." he says, "You didn't like it, did you?" Then I smooch him and tell him it was the best birthday cake EVER! I'd been thinking about what cake I wanted to make for my birthday and I wanted it to be spectacular. I picked one out from Cooks Illustrated - a 4 layer lemon cake with lemon curd filling and 7-minute frosting. A cake mix from a box it is not. When Mike said he wanted to make me a cake I told him I had it covered. But he insisted. I told him the one I had picked out was not for the faint of heart, but he said he was man enough to tackle it. And oh, was he ever. Here it is in all it's glory.


Isn't it gorgeous! He totally amazed me. It was awesome and even more so because I knew he had worked so hard on it. Even I was a little intimidated by it, but he dived right in and it was so wonderful.

On the crafty front, let me show you some of the goods. First, I'm not sure I showed you my kids' Valentine's Day goodies. They all decided they wanted to do the pillow box die from the Big Shot, so I dug out every piece of pink and red paper I could find and let them choose. they all turned out cute, but my Mom saved my bacon by finishing up most of them on my volunteer day at the school. I'd have had to pull an all-nighter to finish them up (isn't that typical?) Thanks, Mom!


First are Mason's, Then Jordan's (see the coloring?), and last are Dawson's. He chose the same butterfly stamp we used last year. Did I ever show you what we did last year? I think not, because I don't think I had started my blog then. Let's see if I can find those pictures . . .

All together now, can you say, "Glutton for punishment"? Those are clear sour cream containers stamped with the butterfly stamp that's also on the tag. I'm having flashbacks just looking at those. They were a ton of work, although I'm not sure they were any more work than all of the pillow boxes this year. Maybe this year seemed worse because I had to add Jordan's preschool class into the mix which meant 15 extra of everything. Next year I'm seriously considering store bought valentines. Someone remind me in January. K? Thanks.

Okay, I'll share two more projects and then I'll save the rest for another post. Since it's Spring Break this week I ought to be able to get another post up this week, don'tcha think?

Here are a couple of swaps. I used them both for the swap my girlfriend, Carrie, organizes, and I also used the one with the tree for my Great Swaps Girls swap.


Sorry the second one is a little dark. I took the picture in my craft room and the first one I took outside. The first one, with the leaf die cut is a CASE from Mary Fish over at Stampin' Pretty. I loved this card of hers. Her color combination is much more funky than mine, but I loved it and copied her idea for my swap. Thanks, Mary! The second card uses the new Thoughts and Prayers stamp set, which is so beautiful. If I'd known I would use the "Praying for You" sentiment on the second one, I would have picked another one for the leaf card, but it was the only sentiment I could fit in the curly label punch. Oh well.

Just for fun I'll show you one more card with the Thoughts and Prayers stamp set. I made this card for a friend of mine who has had a lot on her plate lately.


I wanted to let her know that I was thinking of her and hoped that this would brighten her day. I think it did. This flower image is from the same stamp set and I love how it looks when you color it with markers. For the flowers I colored them with Regal Rose and then touched the center of each flower with Rose Red. It was so pretty.

I participated in an all-day demonstrator event called Demo Day and I have lots of projects to share with you from that event, so stay tuned.

4 comments:

Char in So Cal said...

That cake LQQKS super YUMMY!! Oh, and I XOXOX the little boy sock on the counter next to you... you could be standing in the kitchen at my house LOL!

I'm right behind you in the race to 4-0!

Rubber Hugs,

Char in So Cal
{scrampaddict} {at} {cox} {dot} {net}
darn spammers!

denise:) said...

1 Happy Birthday!
2 Awesome Cake,
3 Adorable boys,
4 AMAZING HUSBAND! I can't believe he made that cake!!!
5. Beautiful cards- love the sympathy ones
6. Crazy awesome Valentines goodies
7. Sit down and relax for a bit- you're 40 now! hee hee...

Amy said...

Oh, those cards all look wonderful! And so does the cake. :-)

Leslie Hanna said...

Happy belated Birthday! You have been quite busy, but then you HAVE A LIFE! Great treats for the kids, AWESOME hubby & cake (lemon is my fave), and wonderful cards. You may have sold me on that set...

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!