Friday, January 30, 2009

A Life Hero

We finally got an update from the National Marrow Donor Program yesterday on Mike's recipient. Here's the information they gave us:

Days since transplant: 41
Has the recipient engrafted? Yes
Overall, how well is the recipient recovering: Well
Has the recipient been discharged from the hospital? Yes

Patient shows some skin GVHD (Graft vs. Host Disease) and increased blood sugar much improved after starting treatments. He is doing well and needs no transfusion support at this time. 

GVHD is good. That means the new cells are recognizing the host cells as foreign and will attack the cancer cells. The skin response - usually redness or rash - can be treated with steroids to suppress. Very good news!!

I'm so relieved. I was trying not to get my hopes up in case the transplant didn't end up helping him. This is really the best possible news. We are thrilled. They sent Mike an engraved clock. 

4 comments:

gina marie said...

Britiney, my heart is filled with joy and my eyes with tears! Having been a friend to someone with cancer and praying for one miracle after another I know what this means to that family! You gave him the precious gift of time. God bless you.

carrie said...

Oh, that is the coolest post I have read. What a blessing. I am so happy and proud. WOW B!

Amy Bayliss said...

That is really the most awesome thing I've read in a long time. What a gift - from both parties!

Anyways, now that I'm all teary eyed, I came by to say that you won the book Multiple Blessings. If you could email me with your snail mail addy then I'll get that out to you!

inquiry (at) amybayliss (dot) com

Angie Tieman said...

What an awesome story! Thanks for sharing it!

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!