Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cows are good. Being one is not.


So I'm sitting at the computer and Jordan runs up and says, "Mommy, do you like cows?" I said, "Yes! I do like cows." I guess I thought no matter what my opinion, he would take it at face value and that would be that. But then he said, "Why?" Now, I don't know about you, but I hadn't given a lot of thought to cows and was a little taken off guard. My reply was, "Because they give us milk and because they're nice." (You know, as opposed to *wild* animals that will eat you if given the chance.)  His reply was, "And because the brown ones give you chocolate milk?" And I said, "Yes, darling. I LOVE chocolate milk." Because no one wants to get into an argument with their 3 year old. 

I've been thinking about setting some resolutions for the new year, but I sometimes feel like I'm just setting myself up for failure by actually calling them resolutions. And if I tell you, then I'll be accountable. Right? That's a lot of pressure. Speaking of which, Carrie! Are you working on your taxes!!???

There are a couple of things I want to make a priority this year. First, I really want to know God better. I want to be able to look back at the end of the year and see progress here. Real progress. Progress I can report on and recognize. I'd like to say "measurable" progress, but in this area I'm not sure it will ever be something I can actually measure. This will require a higher level of commitment to getting into the Word, and to prayer. So far I've done more than before, but still not as much as I'd like. I guess baby steps are better than nothing. I really just want to press in. So many of the other things I'd like to change about myself and my life would take care of themselves if I'd just do better at this one thing. 

Second, I really want to be healthier. I've been carrying around about 40 extra pounds and blaming it on my "baby" who will be 4 in March. Um. Can you say denial? I have been making some progress on this, but haven't wanted to share until I made MORE progress. But I've decided that progress is progress and that I'll share my journey so far. I joined Weight Watchers in August and have been very faithful in attending the weekly meetings. I probably would have done this sooner, but didn't think I could take my kids. Turns out they have one meeting a week that allows kids! I'd lost just barely over 15 pounds right before Christmas and am now trying to get back there. I went from the 180's to the 160's and was thrilled! I gained 5 pounds in the two weeks around Christmas and I'm about half way back to my low and hope I'll be back at the 15 pound mark by my meeting a week from tomorrow. I may not weigh at the meeting tomorrow. It's so discouraging to see a gain on that scale. 

I've also been running more. I've been out every other day pretty consistently (with a few breaks here and there) and definitely more consistent than I've ever been before. I've been seeing improvements too and it definitely makes the weight come off more quickly. At first my goal was just to be able to make it to our community club house which is about 1 mile - running without stopping. Well I did that and then one day I just kept going. Now I can run 2 miles without stopping. Not all of the time, but most of the time if I really push myself. I've been going 4 miles. I run 2 and then walk back. Mike has been so encouraging and has pushed me to go farther. He'll give me a little challenge as I'm walking out the door. Something like, "Ok, today your challenge is to make it to *x* running without stopping." I don't think I'm going to add any more distance until I can run more and walk less. Just as a reminder, Mike runs 15 miles on an *easy* day. Humph. 

I hate every minute of it, but a few things have made it easier. One is Mike and his encouragement. Another is a super cute new hot pink top I got at the Nike store in Denver when we were there. I *feel* like a skinny runner when I wear it. Another is my iPod and listening to some groovy tunes while I run. I also have one of these, which I LOVE!

41tHTrEFH0L._SS400_.jpg

Mike got this for me for my birthday last year. It has a little sensor that will fit into your shoes if you have Nike shoes, but I just have a little pouch that attaches to my shoelaces. Then there's a plug that attaches to your iPod*. You sync them together and then when you run it keeps track of how far you've gone, how many minutes you ran, your pace (min/mi), and how many calories you burn. You can even get status updates mid-run just by pressing the center button on the iPod. My favorite thing is that when I'm done running, if I've gone farther or faster than before, either Paula Radcliffe or Lance Armstrong comes onto my iPod and tells me what a rock star I am! Every little bit of encouragement counts. Right? Last week I even created my Nike+Mini. Did you notice her over on the left? She makes sure you all know that running is basically a piece of cake for me and that I really am a stud muffin. HA! What she does really tell you is how many workouts I've done (hopefully if you check back that number will go up!), total miles I've gone, my average pace, and how far I went on my last run. Plus, she's pretty cute! And she sports some pretty sweet moves! 


*Note: my new iPod touch has this part built in, but it's bigger and heavier than my old iPod nano so I don't usually run with the touch. 


I was going to post some pictures of my craft lab, but I'm having trouble getting them to upload so I'll be back with another post soon! 

2 comments:

gina marie said...

Nice work Britiney!!! I don't want to sound condescending by saying "I'm proud of you" for getting out there every morning and running. But I know how hard it is. I am thrilled you are seeing results...that makes it easier to keep going! Thanks for sharing too. It encourages me to get back in the game so to speak. I ran this morning and honestly, I nearly passed out. It was a sad, sad run. But after reading your blog I am inspired to try again.

bristowmom said...

Hi Britiney,

Sounds like you are doing great with the weight loss and exercise - I wish I had some of your motivation. Regarding your goal of knowing God better, I have a suggestion, though you didn't ask for them. I believe you are a fan of Beth Moore; I just started a study of hers entitled "Believing God". It is fabulous and I'm sure it would help you achieve your goal.

Your craft room looks great.

I miss you!
~Laura

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!