Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Holiday Mini Swaps - 2

I'm back!  I got my iMac back this evening and vow never to be separated from it again!  Everything seems to be in working order so far.  So, as promised, I wanted to post another one of my Holiday Mini swaps tonight.  
  
As I mentioned in the last post, I used the "Home for Christmas" stamp set for all three of my swaps.  The main image in this stamp set lends itself well to watercoloring and I was excited to put ink to paper on this one.  I stamped the main image on watercolor paper with stazon ink.  I used Always Artichoke ink from the lid of my classic pad and my aqua painter to color the greenery on the image.  It took a while to do that on 15 cards, so I was looking for a way to speed things up.  I also wasn't happy with how the image turned out when I used the same technique to color the door, so I tried a new technique (new to me.)  I used my markers to color in the rest of the image - focusing mainly on the areas that needed extra color or shading.  For example, I used my Chocolate Chip marker to color over the grain lines on the door.  After coloring over the lines, I used my aqua painter to blend the color over the rest of the image.  I was thrilled with how it turned out and with how much quicker it was than picking up the ink from the lid of the ink pad.  I'll definitely use this technique again in the future.  It also produces a bolder image because more color is added to the image with the markers than you get when you pick up the ink with the aqua painter or blender pen.  

I used Crystal Effects to make the bow on the door shiny, and to add some glittery detail to the snow on the image.  I also happened to be assembling these cards at my girlfriend, Carrie's house, so I made use of her "Winter Post" stamp set to add the Riding Hood Red snowflakes to the same color card base.  A little touch of the yummy new Alpine Ribbon Originals striped grosgrain ribbon finished off this card.  

Thanks for hanging with me through my technical difficulties this week.  I'm so glad to be back up and running!  Check back tomorrow for my final Holiday Mini Swap card.  

1 comment:

Kristin said...

WOW! Gorgeous coloring! TFS!

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!