Sunday, October 12, 2008

Holiday Mini Swaps - 1

Holy Cow!  How is it that it's been an entire month since my last post?!?  One of my blogging buddies even emailed me this week to make sure I was still alive.  You know things are bad when people start noticing you're missing.  Thanks, Kristin, for checking on me!  I keep thinking things will slow down around here, but I only seem to get busier.  Especially during soccer season.  Yesterday we braved 3 soccer games.  The high temp here was in the low 40's and the wind was blowing.  So, when I say we braved them, think frozen fingers, toes, nose, and all-over frostbite! It was bitter cold.  I have so many things to share with you.  I'm going to start with my latest swap cards, but keep reading for an update on my husband and his running obsession and fund-raising efforts.  

The new Holiday Mini Catalog started on October 1st and I participated in three Holiday Mini swaps.  Over the next few days I'm going to share the cards I made as well as some from the other swappers.  For all of my swaps I used the new stamp set called "Home for Christmas". In way of providing a little background - my dad ran the ski school at the local ski area when I was growing up. As a result, we grew up on the ski hill. Like it or not. We were there every weekend from before the lifts opened until after they closed.  We got new skis and parkas and snow pants for Christmas every year and usually our skis had our names engraved on them. We were a skiing family.  Although I don't ski much now, when I saw the "Home for Christmas" stamp set, it called to me. The skis and sled and decorated door brought back so many memories of days spent on the slopes skiing and sledding. It was really the only set in the new mini I knew I couldn't live without. So here's my first swap including a close-up of some of the detail.  
  
I stamped the main image on vanilla textured card stock with Sahara Sand ink and I sponged the edges with the same color.  Then I colored the wreath portion of the stamp with markers and stamped it again on watercolor paper.  When I colored the stamp with the markers, I colored the bow on the wreath with black so that it stamped a black outline.  After I stamped it, I colored in the wreath with Riding Hood Red ink and my Aqua Painter.  I punched out the wreath with the 1" circle punch and layered it on the Designer Label punch in Riding Hood Red matted with Chocolate Chip and Always Artichoke.  I attached the punched image with some of the yummy new Alpine Ribbon Originals chocolate felt ribbon.  I love the stuff.  The sentiment is also from the "Home for Christmas" stamp set and was stamped on the textured vanilla card stock with Chocolate Chip classic ink.  The whole main panel was layered onto Chocolate Chip and Riding Hood Red card stock.  I was really happy with how all of my swaps turned out, but this was probably my least favorite, so I can't wait to show you the other two!  Be sure to check back tomorrow.  

On the home front, you might remember from this post that my husband committed to running four half-marathons in 5 weeks to raise money for the Heaven's Gate orphanage in India that is run by our church.  He raised nearly $2,000 and the group of 8 runners together raised over $10,000 for Heaven's Gate and money is still coming in.  What an amazing blessing this money will be to the children. Mike's first race - the City of Trees Marathon (even though he ran half) - was last weekend here in Boise.  His goal was to finish in less than 1 hour 45 min. and he came in at 1 hour 33 minutes!!  YAY!  He was so fast that I pulled into my parking place just in time to see him run past the car and I didn't even get to see him finish!  I was supposed to have 10 more minutes to get over there before he came through. DRAT!  He placed first in his age group and 15th overall - out of about 400 runners.  I was so proud!!  Here's a picture of him during the race.  

Pay no attention to the hot chick running next to him (NOT with him.)  Suffice it to say, that is NOT me!! I'd be pushing it to run around the block and I certainly wouldn't be smiling and waving to the crowd.  he he he

Yesterday he flew to Portland to run the second race which is the Gresham Fun Run.  The race was this morning.  There were not as many runners in this race, but he called me this afternoon to say he placed SECOND OVERALL!!  I couldn't believe it!!  I'm so proud of him.  I forgot to ask him his time, but I'll be sure to update this post with that info when he gets home tonight.  Next week they get to rest before running the last two races here in Boise on October 25th and November 1st.  

Today I'm uploading a BUNCH of pictures of my swaps and club projects from this month, so be sure to stop back over the next few days.  Oh, and welcome to all of the new subscribers who somehow had enough faith in me to subscribe even though I've been a slacker-blogger.  Glad you're here!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Welcome back lady! Good to see you again and love that card! I've been wondering what else to do with that stamp set. Your husband is amazing- man, runners are a little nuts though, aren't they?!? LOL!

Lisa H. said...

glad you are back, too! I'd been checking but figured life just had you running, glad I was right and that everything is okay. love what you have been doing with that set. great cards.

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!