Saturday, August 16, 2008

Convention Swaps and Club Projects

One of the best parts of convention is all of the card swapping that goes on.  It's a great way to get some fun ideas.  I took about 75 swaps this year.  Down from about 150 last year.  I don't think I even swapped the first day!!  I found some FANTASTIC inspiration for my swaps the week before convention on Sherri Barron's blog.  You can see the first card I copied here.  I actually made two versions of this one.  
I made this one for my Great Swaps Girls swap before convention.  It uses the same stamp as Sherri's card, but I used different paper (Bella Rose DSP, and Pink Pirouette) and I stamped the en Francais background stamp on the Pink Pirouette card base, but you can hardly see it at all - even in real life.  

Then I made another card using the same papers from the Bella Rose DSP as Sherri used, but on this one I used the little flower vases from the new Window Dressing stamp set which is a Level 3 Hostess set.  I also changed one of the layers from red to Regal Rose.  

You can see the next card I copied from Sherri here.  
I copied this one almost exactly except that I used the Stem Sayings stamp set for the stems and sentiment rather than paper piercing to save some time, and I used two of the Felt Fusion flowers.  
This is the card I made for my Great Swaps Girls swap while we were all at convention.  It was so fun to meet some of the girls in person and swap face-to-face rather than by mail.  Hey girls!! Oh, and how is it that I got a picture of all of the GSG-1 group and not one of the GSG-2 group?!?  What gives??!!  What a bunch of sillies we were!  On this one I used the Bella Rose DSP again, along with textured chocolate chip card stock and the little gift stamp from the Deer Friends set which is a Level 2 Hostess stamp set.  Most of the images in that set are Christmas images, so I was trying to use it for a card that wasn't a Christmas card.  It's always nice to have some ideas for different ways to use a stamp set.  

At my club this week I wanted to show the gals some of the fun stuff we did at convention, so we started off with a bookmark.  We made this fun bookmark as one of the make & take projects while we were at convention.  
Since the new catty orders just went in last week, I wasn't able to procure the supplies for this one, but during one of the main-stage presentations, Brent Steele demonstrated this fun bookmark:
So this is the one we made.  It uses the Styled Silver Hodgepodge Hardware and a new stamp set called Bella's Bloom - which I WON at convention!!  YAY!!!  We just used some tin snips to cut the brad loop off of the top of the bookplate (Brent used Craft & Rubber Scissors when he demo'd it, but I wasn't brave enough to risk my C&R Scissors!).  Then we attached one of the new Button Bouquet buttons and some chocolate grosgrain ribbon with linen thread and glued the stamped image into the bookplate with crystal effects.  They're beautiful and simple!  

Another make & take project we did at convention was a fun gift bag.  We stamped the grass image from the new Inspired by Nature stamp set (which convention attendees got FREE!!) in versamark on the new Tangerine Tango card stock and then stamped the flower image over it with white craft ink.  We also used some of the yummy new So Saffron twill ribbon and a strip of the new Patterns DSP in Tangerine Tango to match. I loved how it turned out and how easy it was, so I showed them another example, but this time in Old Olive with Celery Grosgrain ribbon and some of the new Haiku DSP (which I also WON!!).  I think they're both so adorable, but I'll let you be the judge!  
  
We made another fun card at convention using this set and inking it with sponge daubers.  I thought that was such a brilliant idea, so I made this card for my club members using the same stamp set so they could see that technique.  
One of my favorite things they demonstrated at convention was a card with a fun surprise.  Here's the front of the card I showed to my club, using another fun stamp set we got FREE at convention!  This one is called Flight of the Butterfly.  I got the idea to use the grass stamp from the Inspired by Nature set with the butterflies in the Flight of the Butterfly set from Diana Gibbs.  Pure genius!!  Here's the first card I made that was like hers:
And now for the fun surprise part of the card . . . 
You use spirals cut from circles to make a fun pop-up card!  Everyone at convention went CRAZY when Marlayne Hardy demonstrated this.  What a fun idea!  I couldn't stop with just one of these cards, so here are a couple more - one with Bugs & Kisses and another with Flight of the Butterfly.  So fun!
  
  
Last, but not least, I wanted to show the gals some of the new Decor Elements products which are the vinyl wall rub-ons.  I picked up some framed artwork for about $10 and took the "art" out of it. In its place I put some of the retired Soft Sky DSP in the background (which matches the walls in my craft lab) and added punched Real Red (from the retired Cerise DSP) and Vanilla squares to create a cute little piece of art work for my craft lab.  I added the chocolate flower Decor Elements on top of the glass.  It looks great with the frame and this looks adorable hanging in my craft room.  
  
Well, that's about it for what I've been up to.  T-minus 8 days until my two biggest boys are in school all day.  I'm missing them already.  Well, in between the brawls and wrestling matches and gun fights and yelling and hitting each other and peeing on the floor around the toilet and . . . well, you get the picture.  Gotta love 'em.  

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Club was great this month. Thanks so much for all you do to make it fun. I loved our projects.
Patsy

carrie rhoades said...

Super awesome projects! Love your FRAME! Now, where is mine? Got to make something!!!!

Lisa H. said...

Hey, Brittney! I should have taken the picture of the GSG2, what was I thinking? Thanks for doing the photos for us. I LOVE all your samples in this post. I am doing the same bookmark for my class next week. great job!

Angie Tieman said...

Wow!! What an awesome post filled with incredible goodness!! I forgot all about those bookmarks Brent made, and I love them! So thanks for the reminder!! Also love your pop-up cards with the butterflies! I just made some stamp club projects today, but now I like yours better, darn! Oh well, there's always next month, thanks!

Rhonda Langley said...

I love your cards with all the butterflies!!

denise:) said...

omigosh! all of these projects are BEAUTIFUL!!!! GORGEOUS!!! I love your framed art for the craft room too- FANTASTIC!

i'll probably be casing you this weekend.. :D

Marie said...

WOW - all of your projects are amazing!!! I've been super busy and just got to check in on your blog since Convention and boy was I missing a lot!! I love your green gift bag and all of your pop-out/up cards. Great job!

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!