Friday, June 6, 2008

Busy, busy, busy . . .

Somehow I forgot how hectic things get the last few weeks of school.  Yesterday was the last day for my kids, so . . . Hello, summer vacation!!  We went out with a bang yesterday.  I had a totally lazy morning.  Read the paper, surfed the web, drank my coffee, lounged around, emptied the dishwasher, put in a load of laundry, did my Bible study, etc.  After a while I thought I'd better get my shower.  When I turned off the water in the shower, panic struck. I ran, dripping wet, into the bedroom to see what time it was - 11:07.  Yes, ELEVEN - O - SEVEN!!  Why is that important?  Because the bus drops my son off at 11:00 on early release days.  All of the doors to the house were locked, and by the time I got downstairs, the bus was gone.  I threw on some clothes and ran - RAN - to the corner to see if I could catch the bus.  No.  I ran out to the main road (we live on a circle off the main road).  Still no luck.  All this time I'm dialing and re-dialing my girlfriend whose son catches the bus further down the route to say, "Get Mason off the bus!!"  I turned around to RUN back to the house to jump in the car and see if I could catch the bus and just as I rounded the corner, I turned to see the bus coming up behind me.  The wonderful bus driver decided to come by one more time before she took my son back to school.  Seriously!!  What kind of mother wastes her entire morning and completely loses track of time, in the process abandoning her kindergartner??  Needless to say, I'm still beating myself up over the whole "incident".  My son?  He got off the bus and I grabbed him and hugged him and told him how sorry I was that I hadn't been there to get him off the bus.  When I asked him if he was worried, he shrugged his shoulders and said, "Nope."  Gotta love him.  My 8 year old would have been a hysterical puddle of tears at that point.  The 6 year old? Didn't phase him a bit.  I still feel like a heel.  Here's a picture of him at his graduation on Tuesday.  Somehow I managed to get myself out of my jammies and make it to that.  
Oh. My. Word! Is he cute or WHAT??!!  It was also his birthday this week - Wednesday.  He turned 6.  Wow.  I'm old.  I dutifully made his party invitations and dropped them off at school last week.  He's the only one in our family with a summer birthday, and we've gotten into the "habit" of having a giant water slide in the back yard for his party the last few years.  Here's what I'm talking about:

It's 16 feet tall and the kids have an absolute blast.  Well, his party was scheduled for today from 2-4.  The forecasted high temp for today is 61 with winds gusting up to 40 mph.  Nice.  So we had to postpone the party for a week.  Mason was so disappointed and I spent yesterday afternoon calling all of the parents to notify them of the change in plans.  It's been a bit of a crazy week!!  Here are the invites I made.  
They turned out cute and Mason was so happy with them because of the tiny football I included.  That made them perfect in his eyes.  Have I mentioned that he is a football FAN-A-TIC??  Fanatic.  He will watch NFL football for 12 straight hours and never miss a play if I don't force him to turn off the TV and find something else to do.  Here is his favorite picture EVER.  

Is that cute or what?  I wished Jordan hadn't sneaked into the picture because it would have been so perfect with just little Mason among all of those giant guys.  He's so proud of this picture.  

Oh yeah, the cards. . . I'm still loving the Party Pieces SSKit, so I used those colors and a tiny bit of the patterned paper for the cut out presents.  Because I was mass producing these, I decided to forego the stamp-a-ma-jig and just winged all of the little body parts.  I was surprised at how easy it was to do it without my SAMJ.  I printed out the party details and attached those inside.  The "You're Invited" is from the Eat Cake stamp set and the boy, gifts, and football are from All In The Family and matching Accessories sets.  The grass is the same stamp I used for the soccer coach thank-you notes a few posts down. I just made that one using my craft and rubber scissors and a scrap of rubber.  It's pretty handy, really.  

Well, that's pretty much all I've been up to lately.  I'm hoping to have more time to stamp now that summer is here.  Truthfully, I'll probably have less time.  *sigh*  I do have my club this week and I have some fun ideas for that.  I also signed up for my very first Great Swaps Girls 2 swap which is due the end of the month, so I'd better get some mojo going for that as well.  Am I the only one who completely stresses out about swaps?  Yes?  Ok.  Well, I'd better run.  The boys have ransacked the house while I was typing this.  Oh, glorious summer vacation!  How many more days till school starts? *wink*  

8 comments:

Soozie4Him said...

Hi Britiney! This might be my first visit to your blog - I came because of your adorable b'day invitations you made for Mason's party - saw it on SCS. Loved your story about forgetting what time it was. Y'know what? It's okay! My kids are grown - my 3 girls are 29, 27 and 25. The oldest two are married and my oldest has a sweet little baby girl who is 3 months old - I LOVE being a Grandma! And I'm a Christian too....

When my middle daughter was in Kindergarten, I was shopping at the mall and had found this AWESOME sale on kids' clothes and was standing in line wondering if I had time to buy my stuff and get back in time for the Kindergarten bus. I ended up waiting in line and buying the stuff, and I RUSHED home and I ended up easily beating the bus to our house, but I still remember how nervous I was, and how bad I felt for taking a chance on missing the bus in order to get this great price on my girls' clothes! When she got off the bus, we had a talk about what she would do if she ever got off and Mommy wasn't home - yep, she'd go to the neighbors, etc, etc. But I can still feel that awful feeling!!

Hugs to you and your family!

Susan, aka Soozie4Him on SCS

Soozie4Him said...

Oh, and by the way, my email is:

moot96 at aol dot com

Susan

gina marie said...

I am SO relieved there is someone else out there who forgets about her kids too. Just kidding! You were only a few minutes late it can and does happen to everyone! Your morning sounded wonderful!!! Mason IS adorable...HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Good luck with the party. Let's get together soon.

Love, Gina

bristowmom said...

Hi Britiney,
You certainly are not alone in forgetting your kids. A few weeks ago Ethan graduated from preschool and I completely forgot to attend! I was in tears when I showed up and realized what I had done, but he didn't seem to care.
~Laura

Leslie Hanna said...

cute cards!

Angie Tieman said...

OH my, don't feel bad! That little guy is obviously very loved and was okay and just rolled with the punches, so that's awesome! He is such a cutie by the way! I love your invitations, they are precious!! Hope you get some time to stamp!

Sharon Graham said...

Cute invitations! Love your story about your relaxing morning-- you've probably scarred him for life...NOT. Are you SERIOUS about getting more stamping time in the summer? Your boys must be completely different from mine. LOL

Marie said...

What cute invites and that picture of your boys with the football players is ADORABLE!!!

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!