Tuesday, May 20, 2008

My Craft Lab

Ok, a little background.  When we built our house 10 years ago (whew! am I old, or what!??) we decided sort of at the last minute to put in a basement.  We finished the basement when my oldest was about a year old, and we made one of the bedrooms into my craft room.  What that really meant was that everything *crafty* lived there.  There was no pre-planning, we just stuck everything in there.  We procured some free cabinets from a warehouse sale at my old employer.  Some of those went into my craft room and the rest into the garage.  They were that nice.  So, over the years, as I'm sure you can all imagine, things piled up.  As I went back to get the "before" pictures for this post, I'm actually embarrassed at how it looked.  Sheesh!  How did I ever get anything done in that space.  Here's how it looked before.  Woah, nellie!  Get a grip, girl!

    
This first picture is looking into the room from the door and the second one is the wall on the left side of the room - to the left of the window.  Now, these pictures are after I cleaned out everything from the right side of the closet.  
     
Before the re-do, the right side of the closet had a hanging rod and contained all of the "stuff" from the picture above.  My darling husband made these shelves which has made the space so much more useful and I immediately filled it with "stuff" to make room for the rest of the re-do.  
This is what the left-hand side of the closet looked like before.  Ugh.  I'm overwhelmed just looking at it.  What a mess!!

The next step was paint.  I wanted the walls to be Soft Sky so I took a little trip to my friendly local Home Depot.  I really wanted the space to be soothing and relaxing.  I got the paint I thought I wanted and when I cut it in around the edges I freaked out.  It was NEON!  I even had my club girls take a look at it so I would have an objective opinion.  They initially hated it as much as I did.  But after a few minutes looking at it, they decided, and I agreed, that it just looked too bright because of the base color underneath.  They're all geniuses, so I went with it and it really is perfect.  Here's how it turned out.   
Isn't it gorgeous!!  I *LOVE* it!  It really is exactly what I wanted.  We replaced the brown cabinets with white, rearranged, and here's how it looks now:  

Isn't it awesome!!  I feel so creative when I'm down there.  I'm a little bit of an organization freak.  Disorder drives me nuts, so having everything at my fingertips is exactly what I wanted.
Here is the view from the door.  My magazines are in the cubes, along with some fun red boxes.  The boxes hold envelopes, die cutting and embossing folders for my Big Shot, and all of my smallest size SU! stamps.  I love having my SU! background stamps displayed on top of the cabinet and my large paper cutters are on end on the left side of the cubes.  On the right side is my travel bag I use to carry all of my workshop supplies when I'm on the go.  The table on the right (which is where my main work area was before) is now my sewing station.  It could still use a little more "organizing" but it's definitely much better and I love having my sewing machine out all of the time.  I'm much more likely to use it now that it's not on a TV tray!  Here's a better picture of that area.  
The Rubbermaid drawers on the right now hold all of my quilting fabric.  I'd like to come up with a better storage solution for the "stuff" in the drawers on top of the table, but that will come with time.   Here are a few close-ups.
I got the ink holders from a cyber-friend on SCS who was gracious enough to go to Ikea, buy them and ship them to me. Is that awesome or what!!?? The ribbon holders are SU! and my Stack & Store Caddy on the bottom left holds all of my brads, beads, buttons, and eyelets.

These drawers hold all of my miscellaneous stamping supplies.  Here are the drawer labels starting at the top:
Ink Cartridges, Small Wheels
Wheel Guide, Large Wheels
Glitter
Embossing
Inks - Versamark, StazOn, Kids Inks, Craft Spots, Encore Metallic
Sponges - Large Sponges, Sponge Daubers, Sponge Paint Brushes
Pastels, Watercolor Pencils, Watercolor Crayons
Adhesives
Pens, Roller Handles, Color Spritzer, Crop-a-Dile, Stamp-a-ma-Jig (brayer is going in here too, but it's not labeled yet)
Recently, in the magazine SU! sends to demonstrators every month they showed someone's craft space and they had these great bars with modular baskets and hooks and other do-hickeys that hang from them.  I found them on Ikea and order them super cheap.  They're an awesome way to store my punches and the hanging baskets provide lots of space for other tools.  They also have hooks that are great to hang my scissors on and I got some fun clips that I used to hold my rub-ons.  
Here's a look at the left side of the closet - still not perfect, but much better. 
Here's the right side.  Much better!  My friend, Carrie, and I are collecting jeans to make quilts for our campers!  
I took pictures of the insides of the cabinets, but I decided you probably don't want to see ALL of my junk, so I'm posting just the one with all of my stamps.  These are all of my current SU! stamps.  The retired ones I'm still holding on to are on one of the closet shelves.  I like to organize them by the size of box.  Before they were laying flat and then stacked up.  By having them on end, I don't have a big stack of stamp boxes on top when I want the one on the bottom.  So far it's working great.  This is the cabinet right above where I sit.  I need to get a little step stool so I can reach the top shelf.  

Well, there you have it.  That's my new space.  If you have any questions, be sure to let me know.  I still have a few more plans before I'll feel like it's totally finished.  I want to find some white cabinets and put a counter top on them for my work space instead of the plastic table.  The current table isn't the greatest work surface.  It's a little uneven and it "gives" too much.  Like I said, I'd also like to come up with a better arrangement for the stuff on my sewing table.  I think there's room for another corner cabinet above that table.  Maybe Santa can bring me one for Christmas. he he he.  Thanks for stopping by in cyber space.  If you ever want to really stop by and stamp with me, please do!! 

ETA:  I've received a couple of questions about the ink pad holders.  Someone on SCS bought them at Ikea for me and shipped them to me.  I think they were called Stakebo DVD holders and they just happen to fit the SU! ink pads perfectly.  It is my understanding that Ikea discontinued these.  SU! sells a desk-top revolving ink pad holder.  If you'd like to see that, you can see the SU! catalog by clicking the link on the left.  To buy one, you'll need to find a demonstrator in your area from the SU! website.  If you can't find anyone in your area to help you, be sure to let me know.  

5 comments:

Chad (Captain) Estes said...

You, my friend, are a freak! (Please come organize my office)

Anonymous said...

Your craft room turned out so pretty. Love the wall color and everything looks so organized and tidy. It's nice to have a handy husband who can make shelves and hang cabinets. I'm thankful for mine all the time.
Patsy

Tina said...

I can't wait to get my cabinets up I should really paint but not sure of color!!! But I love yours .Looks so inviting!!
Tina

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I love organization or I can't stamp. Do you have any information on the ink pad organizer from Ikea (do they sell it specifically to use for ink pads)? It doesn't appear on Ikea's website.
Brenda

mommy0f4 said...

what an amazing scrapbook area!

The Fine Print

The content of this blog is my sole responsibility as an independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator. The use of and content of the classes, services, and products offered on this site is not endorsed by Stampin' Up!